NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Annual General Meeting of the Society of Construction Law Hong Kong will be held at the Hong Kong Club, No.1 Jackson Road, Central, Hong Kong on Tuesday 14 June 2022 commencing at 6.15 p.m. Due to continuing COVID-19 and social distancing restrictions, only a limited number of people are permitted to physically attend the Club. In the circumstances, as things currently stand, the AGM will be broadcast by Zoom, with members attending virtually.
1. Apologies for absence
2. Adoption of the Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held on 15 June 2021
3. Annual Report by the Chairman
4. Treasurer's Report
5. To consider and adopt the Annual Report
6. To consider and adopt the Treasurer's Report
7. To appoint Council Members pursuant to Article 8.1.4 of the Constitution of the Society
8. Re-Appointment of Auditors
9. Any other business
10. To declare the meeting closed.
1. As required by the constitution (clause 8.1.1), at every Annual General Meeting one third of the Members of the Council, or, if the number of Council Members is not a multiple of three, then the number nearest to, but not exceeding, one third shall retire from office. There were sixteen (16) Council Members for 2021/2022, as a result five (5) will be standing down. As a result there are five (5) available positions on Council.
2. All Members are requested to attend the meeting. Members entitled to attend and vote are not entitled under the Society's Constitution to appoint a proxy to attend and vote on their behalf.
3. Those Members who wish to put forward themselves for nomination as a Council Member to the Council of the Society should notify the Secretary to the Society at c/o Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, 38th Floor, Two Exchange Square (Fax No. 2524 2171) not less than 7 days before the Annual General Meeting.
Dated the 16th day of May 2022.
The Secretary to Society of Construction Law of Hong Kong
Talk after the AGM
Notice requirements under private and public form contracts: the case of Maeda Corporation and Another v Bauer Hong Kong Ltd and the implications for loss and expense claims
John Scott QC, SC JP
Tuesday 14 June 2022
Our council member, Thomas Lee, on behalf of the Society of Construction Law Hong Kong, cordially invites you to an evening talk to be held on Tuesday 15 June 2021 following the SCLHK AGM.
The SCLHK AGM and the talk will be held at the Hong Kong Club. However, due to continuing COVID-19 and social distancing restrictions, only a limited number of people are permitted to physically attend the Club. In the circumstances, as things currently stand, the AGM and the talk will be broadcast by Zoom, with members attending virtually.
John Scott, QC, SC, JP will discuss notice requirements under private and public form contracts and consider the implications for loss and expense claims following the Court of Appeal's judgment in Maeda Corporation and Another v. Bauer Hong Kong Ltd  HKCA 830 and.
About the speaker:
Formerly Head of Des Voeux Chambers, Mr. Scott is an accomplished trial advocate with over 30 years’ experience in a wide range of commercial disputes. He has earned a reputation for being a “smooth yet forceful advocate who knows how to cut to the chase”. He has a long-standing track record in complex company, commercial, construction and arbitration cases and is active as both a litigator and an international arbitrator.
Mr. Scott is a Master of the Bench of the Middle Temple, and frequently sits as an arbitrator in Hong Kong, Singapore and elsewhere in the region. He has been appointed as arbitrator in substantial construction and infrastructure projects, and has sat as an ICC, SIAC and HKIAC appointed arbitrator in numerous disputes over the last 20 years. He recently co-authored the latest version of Halsbury’s Laws Vol 25 on Arbitration (Cap. 609). Mr. Scott SC, JP also co-authored the 2020 Re-issue of Halsbury's Laws of Hong Kong on Arbitration Vol. 2.
Venue: By Zoom for members
Date / Time: Tuesday 14 June 2022; AGM commences at 6:15pm sharp
Cost: No charge
Please register on our new online registration system at https://www.scl.hk/meetings.php. Alternatively, please return the registration application slip below to Membership Administration, Society of Construction Law Hong Kong, 38/F, Two Exchange Square, Central, Hong Kong. You will need to register in order to receive the Zoom link and log in details. For enquiries please contact Mr Kevin Chow on +852 2525 2381, fax +852 2524 2171.